Envisory had the pleasure of organising the 2nd Pacific Islands Petroleum Pricing and Procurement Conference in Chapman Tripp’s Auckland offices on 19-20th September 2018. The conference was a great success with attendees and guest speakers getting across many of the main issues concerning petroleum pricing in the Pacific within a short space of time.
Some of the key themes include: market structures for petroleum and LPG; fuel pricing and specifications; policy and legal challenges; oil security.
Apart from delivering expertise, a strong focus for these conferences is to promote discussion and share information between countries. The notable outcomes and discussions points from the conferences are summarised below:
- The need for a similar forum to assemble annually
- Pacific Island countries’ requirement for specific petroleum and logistics expertise
- The need for market information (price monitoring, market trends)
- Building a common understanding of pricing templates
- Use as a central forum for gathering relevant information
- Platform for coordination and/or interaction with suppliers and stakeholders
- Leveraging acquisition of common services (e.g. pricing and market data)
- Training and capacity building
- Working, where appropriate, with regional organisations
- Policies and procedures for managing fuel security during emergencies
- Representation to other stakeholders (donors, sovereign interests)